Thursday, March 30, 2006

Looking back and laughing

Here are the first five strips of Loft Boys from when I brought the comic strip back to the Purdue Exponent during the second semester of my second senior year. The strip got very little recognition when it was previously in the paper my junior year (only one of those), and I think it was because it never grabbed anyone's attention. And why should it have? College students are far too busy with their regular lives to go out of their way to find some obscure comic strip in the student paper. So to get the attention that this strip deserves (and I obviously need), I brought it back with controversy, sex, and alcohol. In other words, I went after the Greek system. My comic strip become a moderate campus controversy, and in my mind, a huge success.

I know these are too small to read. I don't know how to fix that on Blogger. If anyone knows how, please inform me. Meanwhile, there's a link before each strip that will give you a much easier read.

Delicious link!


Delicious link!


Delicious link!


Delicious link!


Delicious link!


I've been writing a few new ones. I've changed Jack's hair, since so many people think he's a girl. That's a little embarrassing considering his hair is modeled after my hairstyle from when I created him. Anyways, he's much cooler now. Just like me?

I think I like setting them in Los Angeles and in "The Industry". They've been out here for about 5 years, and they are not successful. Jack is an actor/musician, and Scott is a comedian/director/writer/producer. Smiley is currently not being included. I know. I'm sad, too.

I need a new title. Currently, I like Struggling. It looks funny, and it's funny to say.

Good advertisement lines:
Struggling is a laughing matter.
Have you had your does of Struggling today?
Who enjoys Struggling? Why everybody, of course!

I'll get some of the new ones up soon. I need to make final sketches, and I do hate finals.

EDIT - The links work now. If you had trouble, refresh this page and try again.

3 Comments:

At Thursday, March 30, 2006 at 10:50:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh good times... good times. I remember the time when Greg was kinda hooking up with that deaf girl while we were in the loft and he was trying to be quite. =) Oh and she missed their next date. -Ronnie

 
At Thursday, March 30, 2006 at 11:04:00 PM EST, Blogger Joel Lugar said...

I almost hit her with my car while making an audition tape for Road Rules!

That loft moment was classic. We kept saying things down to Greg while he was hooking up with her. He got so mad, because we kept making him laugh, but she couldn't hear us at all.

Remember when we first met her, and she kept telling everyone how Elvis worked at Burger King? We didn't laugh, and she thought we had no sense of humor. Actually, we just didn't have the heart to tell a deaf girl that her joke was terrible.

 
At Friday, March 31, 2006 at 9:52:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And Greg thought she ditched him on their next date... but then we figured she didn't hear him mention the date.. OR.. didn' hear the alarm... soooo bad.. lol =P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home